How Does it Work?
2nd Life offers you the convenience of being able to trade in online or in-store, depending on your location and preference.
Online – Mail it in.
- Get a quote online using our visual catalog or search field, select your item and follow the prompts.
- Mail it. Carefully pack and send your device to us using the prepaid FedEx shipping label (must be dropped off at FedEx within 15 days of your Quote).
- Get paid! After inspection, we will mail you a Check.
Walk it in.
2nd Life has partnered with several retailers to offer its trade-in program. Just follow the steps below and you are on your way!
- Participating retailers include Best Buy (Best Buy stores for cameras, lenses and accessories only).
- Bring in your used device(s) to the customer service counter, and an associate will value it on the spot.
- Trade in for a gift card or store credit you can use whenever you like.
Please note online and in-store values may differ slightly; quotes generated on 2ndlifequotes.com cannot be redeemed in-store.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What categories of Consumer Electronics do you accept?
- How are quotes determined?
- How does the condition of my device affect quotes?
- How often are quotes updated?
- When is the best time to get the highest quote?
- Clarify the 15 Day Quote Guarantee?
- I can't find my device on your site. Does that mean you don’t accept my item?
- My device has no value. What are my options?
- How do I prepare my item(s) for shipment?
- How do I deactivate "Find My iPhone", "Find My iPad" and "Find My Mac" for iOS devices before shipping, after shipping (gulp!) or if my device does not power on?
- How do I unpair my Apple Watch and turn off the "Activation Lock"?
- How do I package my device(s) for shipment?
- How do I ship my electronics?
- What happens after I send in my electronics?
- What if I change my mind after sending my electronics, what is your return policy?
- Can I get a quote online and get paid in the store?
- How long does it take to get paid?
- What happens to all the electronics?
- What happens to personal data on my electronics?
- What does 2nd Life do with my personal information such as email?
- Why should I trust 2nd Life?
We currently accept those categories of electronics listed on our home page: Smartphones, Tablets, Laptops, iPods, Digital Cameras, Lenses and Flashes, Action Cameras, Drones, Video Game Consoles, Wearables, Portable Audio, IoT (Connected Home Devices), Home Audio and Home Theater, Projectors, Headphones, Car Audio, and GPS Units. Lots of folks ask, but we DO NOT accept televisions or monitors of any kind, external hard drives, tower computers, refrigerators, or items that fall into other categories not listed here as “accepted”.
If you have a device that fits into our accepted categories, but you cannot find your device, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you.
Our real-time quote engine considers a number of factors such as the condition of the device, its configuration, and its projected value in the secondary market to arrive at a fair price. Above and beyond price, 2nd Life offers convenience, reliability, and security, ensuring you get the most overall value for your device.
There are certain criteria for each product and product category that affect quotes more than others. It is important that you rate your device accurately to ensure quote adjustments are avoided once we receive and examin your device. "Flawless" means "As New" with NO visible signs of use.
Quotes are updated real-time.
The best time to get the highest quote is now. Virtually all consumer electronics depreciate over time, and this depreciation can be accelerated during the launch of new devices. 2nd Life quotes are good for 15 days, so locking in early is always the best way to go.
Quotes from 2nd Life are good for 15 days. Your package must be scanned by the carrier within 15 days of the day your Quote was generated. If your quote expires and you still want to sell your item(s) simply return to 2ndlifequotes.com to get a new quote.
Not necessarily. Email email@example.com and we'll get back to you. Please do note that we DO NOT accept printers, televisions or monitors of any kind, refrigerators or large appliances.
If you are selling another item that does have value to 2nd Life, you can include these electronics in the same box, and we'll ensure it gets recycled responsibly. Alternatively, you can look for a recycling facility in your city that recycles electronics. Several of our retail partners also provide drop-off bins for electronics recycling. In addition, earth911.com provides comprehensive recycling information on their website.
Be sure to include all items you specified you had when you received your Quote. Please include any applicable accessories including the power cord, charger, battery, original box, etc. for each device you are trading. Be certain to include it in the box you send to us, otherwise your Quote value may be impacted.
If your product originates with batteries and chargers, please include them with your device.
IMPORTANT: For smartphones and tablets, it is your responsibility to:
- Verify you do not owe any more money on the device.
- Deactivate Find My iPhone for all iOS devices and Mac and erase your content and settings. Here's how.
- Remove the SIM card
- Deactivate the cellular service
- Deactivate the data service
- Delete your data
To remove the SIM card from Apple iPhones and iPads: gently insert Apple's SIM card removal tool or a straightened paperclip into the pin-sized hole in the SIM card tray. Once you release the catch in bottom of the hole, the SIM tray will eject from the device body. Remove your card from the tray and reinsert the tray so it is secure and flush with the casing. We cannot return these to you, so please be sure they are removed prior to sending your device.
Find My iPhone is a feature for iOS devices: iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, iPod Touch and MacBook that can help locate your device if lost.
Leaving Find My iPhone or the Activation Lock turned on renders the device valueless because new owner will not be able to activate it. Which means, yep, you guessed it, we will not be able to offer you any value.
To ensure a fast and hassle-free process, please make sure to turn off Find My iPhone before sending your Apple device(s) to us. The best and easiest way to do this is to erase all content and settings from your device before trading it.
From a Mac (for your Mac):
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud, then deselect Find My Mac.
On your iOS device:
- Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
IMPORTANT: If you do not have your iOS device or if it does not power on, you still need to be sure to deactivate FMI. Here's how:
From any browser:
- Go to iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID and Password when prompted
- Select Settings > then select the device you are selling to us
- When the dialogue window appears, confirm the device you need to deactivate by clicking the "x" next to it
- Select Remove
This will completely erase your device, turn off Find My iPhone, and remove the device from your iCloud account. Please contact us if you need any assistance with this process.
Not doing so will void your trade-in value. It's quick and easy ... here's how:
From your iPhone:
- Keep the Apple Watch and iPhone close together
- From your iPhone: Open the Watch App and tap "My Watch"
- Tap "Apple Watch", then tap "Unpair Apple Watch"
- Tap next to the Watch you are selling, then tap "Unpair Apple Watch"
- If prompted, enter your Apple ID & Password to disable Activation Lock
- Tap again to confirm.
- After the Apple Watch unpairs, you'll see the "Start Pairing" message on both the iPhone and Apple Watch
Note: The iPhone auto-creates a backup of the Apple Watch which you can use to restore a new Apple Watch.
From any browser:
- Go to iCloud.com
- Sign in with Apple ID, and open "Settings"
- Under "My Devices", click "Apple Watch"
- Click next to appropriate device, then click "Remove" and confirm
- Protect your device! Until we receive, inspect and pay for your device, remember, you still own it. Wrap each device securely with bubble wrap or other packing material to protect your item during shipment. If you are sending in multiple items be sure to individually wrap each item, so they will not damage each other during shipment.
- Choose an appropriately sized box. Place your electronics in an appropriately sized box. Choose a box with enough room for cushioning material around the contents. Do note that if you ship your device in its original box/packaging, all packaging is recycled once received, and cannot be returned to you.
- The Test (important): Close and gently shake the box. Is there enough padding to keep the device secure? Or is the device bouncing around inside? If it’s bouncing around, add more newspaper, packing foam, or cushioning material. This is important. 2nd Life will not be held responsible for damage to your items that may occur during shipping.
- Tape your box shut and reinforce the seams with 2" wide tape. Use clear or brown packaging tape, reinforced packing tape, or paper tape. Do not use cord, string, or twine. If you’re reusing a box, cover up or black out any old labels and markings.
- Print your 2nd Life provided pre-paid Shipping Label. Please only use the provided Shipping Label to send in your device. If you use another carrier or label, we will not be able to track your package and we cannot guarantee that it will be insured during transit.
- Tape the prepaid Shipping Label to the package away from any folds or seams.
- Within 15 days of receiving your Quote, send your package with FedEx as denoted by your shipping label. We strongly recommend having your package scanned by the carrier and obtaining a receipt.
Once your electronics are received in our processing center, our specially trained technicians will complete a functional inspection or your product(s). Our goal is to complete that within 5 business days. Most of the products we inspect match exactly what was quoted online. In these cases, where the quoted value matches the inspected value, we issue full payment of the originally quoted amount. However, at times mistakes can be made by customers when identifying and grading their device. The most common mistake is when a customer submits an item as an incorrect generation or model (for example, an iPhone 6 versus an iPhone 6s). If we determine that the item received is an incorrect model or is in a different condition, we will adjust the inspected value to reflect the inspected model and/or condition. We then inform you via email and give you 2 BUSINESS DAYS to either have your item sent back free of charge or accept the lower amount. If we do not hear back from you within 2 BUSINESS DAYS, we will automatically issue payment for the adjusted amount.
Any item that matches the original quote or greater cannot be returned to you, and in the case of sales with multiple items we are only able to return items that have been price adjusted.
We remove protective layers and/or casing to check condition of your item(s). If you want your item back for any reason, we are not responsible for any accessories, including chargers, external shells, casings, original box or protective layers on your item(s).
Price adjustment occurs when there is a discrepancy between what is specified and the product received. 2nd Life will inform you via email of the revised value and gives you 2 BUSINESS DAYS to either have your item sent back free of charge or accept the lower amount. If we do not hear back from the you within 2 BUSINESS DAYS, 2nd Life will automatically issue payment for the adjusted amount.
PLEASE NOTE IF YOUR ITEM DOES NOT HAVE VALUE AFTER IT IS PRICE-ADJUSTED AND YOU DO NOT REPLY TO OUR PRICE ADJUSTMENT EMAIL WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS YOUR ITEM(S) WILL BE RECYCLED.
Our customers expect a fair and honest quote from us and we expect honesty and accuracy in how our customers evaluate their items. The company reserves the right at all times to determine whether an abuse to our system and services has been made for any reason. If we determine an abuse to our system has occurred, we will not provide free return shipping. Any customer whose sale has been deemed as abuse will be responsible for the cost of having their item returned to them. As with all sales, only those items that have an error in submission will be eligible to be returned. Abuse of our system may include, but is not limited to: a significant change in the condition of an item, submitting an item as a clearly different model, submitting an item as a working item when it is clearly broken, or submitting an item that has been lost/stolen.
Online and in-store values may differ; quotes generated online cannot be redeemed in-store, and vice-versa.
We issue payment after item inspection. Once we receive your item, we will inspect it as quickly as we can, which is typically within 5 business days. Checks will be mailed via USPS within five (5) business days of the device being inspection complete. Please note if you trade multiple devices in the same trade order, payment will be issued once the last device has been inspected.
2nd Life’s programs and services bring the reuse of electronics into the mainstream, to reduce e-waste and increase the lifetime use of electronics. 2nd Life diverts electronic products from the waste stream by re-directing the equipment from the landfill and into the hands of new users, increasing the lifetime use of products which preserves natural resources. If a product is deemed to have no resale value, the product will be responsibly recycled by our certified recycling partner.
All electronics will be wiped clean of personal information prior to getting into the hands of other consumers. We will do a factory reset of all smartphones which removes all personal information and memory cards will be erased software that follows the Department of Defense guidelines. With all of this in mind, it is your responsibility to remove all personal data from any device you send to us, before you send it to us!
2nd Life is a leader in the trade-in industry. If you have any other questions or concerns you can always reach out via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or you may speak with us directly at (804) 918-2352.